I love me some sweet potatoes.
For game day I had to share a yummy, guilty feelin’, yet healthy finger food with you to enjoy while watching the game. I scored this recipe from one of my go-to healthy cookbooks, FIXATE.
These scrumptious potato skins are loaded with lean chicken breast(vegan option below) and spinach, melty cheese, crispy bacon, and creamy sour cream. Can we say yum.
The best part? They’re just a fraction of the calories of regular skins. Who’s says you can’t eat what you wanna?
It’s all about moderation, my superstars and this recipe has just the right balance!
Loaded Sweet Potato Skins:
3 medium sweet potatoes
2 slices nitrate-free bacon(sub smokey tempeh)
5 oz. raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless, finely chopped(vegan option below)
1⁄2 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
1 Tbsp. taco seasoning(get one with a small amount of sodium/no perservatives)
3 cups chopped spinach
6 Tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese
6 tsp. reduced-fat (2%) sour cream
Chopped chives (for garnish; optional)
Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2.Place sweet potatoes on baking sheet. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until fork tender. Cool until sweet potatoes can be handled.
3. While potatoes are baking, cook bacon in large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until crisp. Place on paper towels to drain. Once cooled, crumble bacon. Set aside.
4. Add chicken to same skillet. Season with salt and taco seasoning; cook, over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
5. Add spinach; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until fully wilted. Set aside.
6. Slice cooled sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out most of flesh with a spoon, leaving about 1⁄4-inch of flesh attached to skin.
7. Place sweet potato halves, skin-side up, on baking sheet. Lightly coat with spray. Bake for 15 minutes, or until skins are brown and crisp.
8. Fill each sweet potato half with 1⁄4 cup of chicken mixture. Top evenly with 1 Tbsp. cheese, and bacon. Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
9. Garnish each sweet potato half evenly with 1 tsp. sour cream and chives (if desired).
For a vegan version, substitute cauliflower taco “meat” for the chicken, vegan cheese sauce for the cheese, and vegan sour cream for the sour cream.
P.S. You can enjoy this recipe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. ; – )